Harrison Howell Dodge
Farmer William, William, Robert, Issac, Robert, Francis, Alexander
Just noticed a book of mine titled, "Mt. Vernon." The author is Paul Wilstach. The copyright dates in the front are 1916 & 1930. This is a book about "Washington's Home and the Nation's Shrine." On the inside page it begins,
To Harrison Howell Dodge
Harrison is mentioned twice in the book.
After the war the Association was so poor that it was unable to pay a superintendent's salary, and Miss Cunningham came in 1868 and lived at Mount Vernon and directed operations until her frail health broke down entirely in 1872. J.M. Hollingsworth then took up the work as resident secretary and superintendent. He remained in charge until May 30, 1885, and was succeeded by Harrison Howell Dodge who has held this same post more than forty-five years. James Young came to assist Mr. Dodge as clerk in 1886, but he has been assistant superintendent continuously since 1890, which was the year in which this office was created.
Another result of Mr. Dodge's research was the discovery of the quarry from which were cut the stone flaggings in the great portico pavement. The originals there have thinned nearly to the vanishing point. Frost destroyed the edging course of the flags first laid there by Lund Washington when the portico was erected during the Revolution, and the General included the repaving of his portico among his repairs after the war.
It appears that an Association was created and called the "Mt. Vernon Ladies Association."
There followed dark days for the courageous women who had undertaken the salvation of Washington's home, but they did not falter even in the face of war.
Mr. Dodge apparently was an important part for years in the Mt. Vernon history, especially since the book was dedicated to him.